Saturday, November 29, 2008

Why I recycle.

Do you recycle? Why or why not?

Yes, I recycle everything I can, from water bottles right down to the cardboard rolls in my toilet paper. I do it because I think it is important for each of us to take personal responsibility for what we consume and how we dispose of it, and I love my country and don't want to see her landfills take up more and more of this beautiful land.

Do you teach your kids about recycling and reducing their footprint on the earth?

I don't have kids but I am trying to teach my husband and the children in our family.

What kind of stuff do you reuse? How do you reuse it?

I reuse containers (plastic ones like butter and sour cream) to hold leftovers, then I wash and recycle them. I re-use paper from work that is to be thrown out - usually has but a speck of ink on one side, so I bring it home and use it to print out assignments and such for an online class. I reuse cardboard and cardboard boxes for shipping and art projects. Oh and a no brainer, I use canvas bags when I shop.

What kind of stuff do you buy that you feel reduces the amount of overall waste from your household?

I buy the concentrated soaps and laundry detergent, I buy water by the gallon or use my Brita pitcher instead of small bottles, I try to buy the product with the least amount of excessive packaging when faced with a cost-effective choice. I hope someone has more ideas because I would like to reduce further.

Why do you feel it is important or not important to reduce, reuse and recycle?

Personal responsibility is big for me. I think I need to be responsible for the trash that comes out of my house, and it is not someone elses responsiblity to sort it for me. I am responsible for the footprint I leave on the earth and whether or not I leave it better or worse (even if just a little) for the children in my family and yours.

No comments: