Saturday, November 29, 2008

Judging others

So I was just thinking........uh oh watch out, another random thought! Anyway, it seems like everywhere I go (on or off the net) people are constantly judging other people for what they look like, wear, how they talk, i.e. little petty stuff. I know we are all guilty of this to a certain extent but I also know that when I catch myself doing it I feel like a big huge ball of ignorance, and when I see other people doing it, I try to stay away from them. I mean, who am I do judge someone for what they look like, what they wear, how they talk? I wear sweats and PJ's most of the time, and I am super nerdy/corny. Love it or leave it right? We all have our hang-ups.

I have learned to ask myself 3 questions when I catch myself pre-judging someone I don't know:

1. Do I have any clue why this person looks/talks/or acts the way they do? Do I know their background?

2. What am I getting out of this? Does it make me feel better to put someone else down? (nope, it makes me feel worse, actually)

3. Who the heck am I? Just another soul wandering the universe, I have no right to judge.

Now when it comes to serious stuff, I may throw my 2 cents in if I think it will be constructive, but if a person is not hurting anyone and I am spending time judging them, it must be time to get another hobby or find some other way to keep myself busy.

Maybe instead of judging people we should all think about what we can do to put a smile on that persons face, if only for a minute. Who knows, might be the only time they smile all day, and I bet it will make you smile too =).

Chew on that.

No comments: